- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro , chopped
- 1 8-ounce can Roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup corn masa or corn meal
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 squash, cut in half & sliced ½” thick
- 1 cup fresh or canned corn
- 1 14-ounce can black beans
- 3 cups light & dark chicken (from 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled & sliced
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips & baked Fresh cilantro
1. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add onion, garlic, and cilantro; sauté until golden brown. Add onion mixture to food processor with tomatoes; process until smooth. Return to pan and add cumin, pepper, and corn masa. Cook (stirring frequently) until thickened, about 5 minutes.
2. In a large saucepan bring chicken stock to a simmer. Add tomato mixture to hot chicken stock and blend until smooth (using an immersion blender if desired). Add squash, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Add corn, black beans, chicken, and lime juice; heat through, about 2–3 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, tortillas and fresh cilantro.