This popular macaroni and cheese starts with a classic white sauce and plenty of extra sharp cheddar cheese. At the restaurant they use pimentos from a jar, but with the abundance of red peppers th...
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1-2 cups water or broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Splash of wine or vinegar
- 1 cup milk
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add carrots, onion and garlic; saute 15 minutes or until tender.
2. Add tomatoes. Add broth to desired thickness. Simmer 30 minutes or until flavors mingle and blend. Add brown sugar, vinegar and milk. Stir well and heat through. Serve topped with croutons.
Related Stories & Recipes
Serve an arugula radicchio salad with lime vinaigrette for a zesty, biting contrast to the rich creamy soup.