- 2 slices bacon
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups light bodied IPA beer (a nice local one such as Yazoo Americana)
- 12 ounces aged cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 ounces Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Green onions, chopped (optional)
1. Add bacon to Iarge saucepan and cook until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving drippings in pan. Add potato through jalapeno and cook 5 minutes. Add butter and melt. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add stock and cook stirring until smooth. Lower heat to a simmer and add cream and beer. Cook 3 minutes. Remove soup from heat and add grated cheese and hot sauce. Let stand until cheese is completely melted.
3. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. Garnish with bacon and green onion or arugula. Serve with beer and enjoy!