- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1½ cups natural peanut butter (natural preferred)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, or 3½ cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth or Sweet Potato Broth (recipe below)
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
1. Put the chicken, peanut butter, tomatoes, curry powder, and cayenne in a medium pot and pour in the sweet potato broth. Season with salt to taste. Simmer over medium heat until the peanut butter is completely blended and the stew has a thick, even consistency, 20 minutes.
2. Serve, sprinkled with chopped nuts.
Recipe and Photos excerpted from Soul Food Love (Clarkson Potter, 2014) by Alice Randall and Caroline Randall WIlliams
About this recipe
Related Stories & Recipes
This vegetarian chili takes perfectly to a host of other ingredients. Saute the onion in bacon for a smoky, meaty version, add chicken, beef or pork, or add chiles or roasted peppers.