- 1/2 cup rice (basmati or long grain)
- 5 cups 2% or whole milk
- 1/2 cup turbinado or white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks (optional)
1. Combine 4 cups milk, rice and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla. Whisk egg yolks and about 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture. Whisk back into pan and add remaining 1 cup milk. Place over medium heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool and chill at least 2 hours before serving.