- 1 cup wheat berries or kamut
- 3 large beets
- 5 leaves dinosaur kale (or any kale or spinach)
- 2 ounces chèvre or goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine wheat berries with 4 cups water. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour or until just tender (wheat berries are always a bit crunchy, that’s ok). Drain.
- Preheat oven to 450. Trim stalks and leaves from beets (save for later). Wash well. Wrap each beet in aluminum foil. Place on baking sheet in oven. Roast 20-30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a paring knife. Unwrap and let cool. Rub skins off beets(the skins will rub off effortlessly). Cut beets into 1-2-inch chunks.
- Cut kale into thin strips or a chiffonade. Combine kale, wheat berries, and beets in a large bowl. Toss well. Add chèvre, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss well. Serve cold or room temperature. Serves 6 as a main dish or 10 as a side.
About this recipe
Feta cheese works just as well as fresh goat cheese, althought it's a touch saltier.