- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Fresh whipped cream
- In a medium bowl combine the strawberries, 1/4 cup of the sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and cut into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 forks until the butter is incorporated. In a small bowl whisk together the egg and half-and-half. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- Place the strawberry mixture into the prepared skillet. Drop batter by spoonfuls on top of the strawberries.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before serving with dollops of whipped cream.
Related Stories & Recipes
Here are some of the cookbooks we love, though for different reasons. Some are inspirational and motivate us to be better stewards of the earth, some are educational, some are tasty, and some ...