- 3 bacon slices
- 3 cups cooked crowder peas
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup pepper jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large fresh peaches, apricots, or nectarines, peeled and diced
- Mixed salad greens
- Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 minutes or until the bacon is done. Drain on paper towels and crumble when cool enough to handle. Save the drippings for another use and reserve the bacon pieces in a zip-top bag in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl gently stir together the peas, red peppers, and red onions.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the cilantro, jelly, red wine vinegar, oil, jalapeños, garlic salt, and black pepper. Shake vigorously to emulsify.
- Pour the dressing over the pea mixture, tossing to coat. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Stir the peaches into the pea mixture and set aside to come to room temperature at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Toss with the mixed salad greens and top with the crumbled bacon.
Recipe courtesy of Tammy Algood from her book, Sunday Dinner in the South: Recipes to Keep Them Coming Back for More