- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425. Roast sweet potatoes 45 minutes or until tender. Cool. Remove pulp and mash. (You should have about 1 cup mashed sweet potato.)
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into flour mixture until coarse. Add the sweet potato puree and half of the buttermilk to the flour mixture. Fold it in with a wooden spoon until dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Add more buttermilk if needed to bind the mixture. Dough should be moist, not wet.
3. Dust your workspace and begin to form dough into a ball. Fold over 6 times, dusting with flour in-between each time. Roll out dough about 3/4 of an inch thick and cut into 3-inch circles or squares. Place on baking sheet. Brush tops with a mixture of 2 tablespoons each melted butter and whole buttermilk. Bake 8-12 minutes.