- 1 cup whole bran cereal (not flakes)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granola of your choice
1. In a large bowl, stir together bran and water. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
2. In another large bowl, combine oil, sugar, and honey, mixing well. Beat eggs into this mixture and then add the buttermilk. Combine with bran mixture slowly and thoroughly. Note: blueberries, apple, raisins, nuts, or other additions can be added at this point for extra nutrition and flavor.
3. Cover and refrigerate the batter for several hours or overnight. (Batter can be stored, refrigerated and sealed, for 4-6 weeks and used as needed.)
4. Spoon into greased muffin tins 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake at 400ºF for 22-25 minutes, until the muffins are brown or a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.