- 1 medium zucchini
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 16 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablepsoon tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini into long, even strips. Toss together the zucchini strips and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt in a colander. Let stand until ready to use.
2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the pan; swirl to coat. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, and cook 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, pepper, and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt; bring to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 6 minutes. Gently stir in the spinach. Cover and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the zucchini strips. Stir together the ricotta and mozzarella. Dot the zucchini mixture with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the basil.
About this recipe
Excerpted from Everyday Vegetarian by the Editors of Cooking Light. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved.