- 1½ cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, diced + frozen
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream
- ¼ cup nondairy milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar extra gluten free all-purpose flour for kneading
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour blend, starch, baking powder, and sugar until completely combined. Add the vegan butter to the mixing bowl. And combine until mixture is size of coarse meal. Combine vanilla and next 4 ingredients, and mix just until combined. Place bowl in the fridge. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Place dough on a floured surface, and knead a few times. Roll the dough into a rectangle about ½ inch thick. Carefully fold ⅓ of the dough over and fold the other side overtop to create a three layered rectangle. Slice the rectangle into six triangles–the easiest method is slicing the dough into three equal rectangles and slicing each diagonally.
3. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-24 minutes. Cool completely before glazing.
4. For maple glaze: mix the vegan butter and cream cheese in a small bowl. Add the powdered sugar and maple syrup and stir until smooth. Liberally glaze each scone. Yield: 6 scones.
5. For maple glaze: mix the vegan butter and cream cheese in a small bowl. Add the powdered sugar and maple syrup and stir until smooth. Liberally glaze each scone. Serve plain or with blackberry jam and cream cheese.
About this recipe
These scones are courtesy of Hannah Huffines of Sweet Bites, a bakery dedicated to gluten free and allergy friendly baked goods. Find her at swetbitesbakes.com.