- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened + extra for brushing on tart pan
- 6 firm, yet ripe Seckel Pears, cored, peeled, saving stems
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup almonds, whole or slivered
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemons zest
- powdered sugar/confectioner’s sugar
1/ Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2/ Brush tart pan sides and bottom with softened butter
3/ Toss prepped pears with the lemon juice
4/ Process sugar and almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add butter, eggs, cocoa powder, vanilla and almond extracts, salt and zest until combined into a thick batter. Scrape batter into the tart pan and spread out evenly.
5/ Gently press pears into the batter around the edge of the pan evenly spaced. Insert the stems down into the pears. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
6/ Bake tart until puffy, for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the batter comes out with a few wet crumbs attached. Take care to not overbake. Cool tart on a wire rack.
7/ Serve dusted with powdered sugar if desired.