- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened + extra for brushing on tart pan
- 6 firm, yet ripe Seckel Pears, cored, peeled, saving stems
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup almonds, whole or slivered
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemons zest
- powdered sugar/confectioner’s sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brush tart pan sides and bottom with softened butter
3. Toss prepped pears with the lemon juice
4. Process sugar and almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add butter, eggs, cocoa powder, vanilla and almond extracts, salt and zest until combined into a thick batter. Scrape batter into the tart pan and spread out evenly.
5. Gently press pears into the batter around the edge of the pan evenly spaced. Insert the stems down into the pears. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
6. Bake tart until puffy, for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the batter comes out with a few wet crumbs attached. Take care to not overbake. Cool tart on a wire rack.
7. Serve dusted with powdered sugar if desired.