- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal Flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn grits
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) softened butter
- 1 cup turbinado or white sugar
- 2 tablespoons sorghum or molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 ripe, but not super soft, pears (such as Red Barlett)
- Turbinado or white sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9” springform pan.
2. Combine almond meal, grits, baking soda and salt, mix well.
3. With a mixer, beat butter, sugar and molasses until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, beat well. Turn mixer to low and add dry ingredients, mixing just until well blended. Scrape batter into the prepared springform pan smoothing the top.
4. Cut pears in half and remove cores from each. Cut each half into quarters. Place half of the pear quarters in a circle over the top of the cake batter.
5. Bake cake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and quickly add another layer of the pears on top of the partially baked cake. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes. Remove cake from oven and while still hot, sprinkle generously with turbinado or white sugar.