- 4 cups mashed butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash in half, place cut sides down in a pan with a little water. Roast 30 minutes or until almost tender. Turn squash over and drizzle with maple syrup, sorghum, or sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Roast 10 minutes or until browned and tender. Remove squash from skin with a spoon. One medium butternut squash yields about 1 cup mashed.
3. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and bell pepper, saute 10 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, curry, and cinnamon, cook 5 minutes. Add roasted squash, stir well. Add chicken stock, coconut milk, salt, and pepper.
4. If desired use an immersion blender to blend until smooth, or keep chunky. Garnish with goat cheese, chives, pepitas, or green apple.