- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a large sauté pan slowly melt butter over medium-low heat.Add squash, onion, and sage. Sauté gently for 5 minutes until onion becomes translucent.
- Heat the broth, set aside.
- Add rice and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until rice looks opaque, 6 to 8 minutes. Pour in wine and simmer until the liquid evaporates.
- Add half of the broth all at once to the rice. Raise heat so that the liquid bubbles over the entire surface. Cook the rice a total of 18 minutes from this point, stirring often. As the rice absorbs the broth, add some more broth, a little at a time. Be careful not to add too much broth at the end of the cooking time because the rice should be naturally creamy, not swimming in broth or fluffy and dry.
- Stir in the 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano. Remove from heat, coverand let stand several minutes. Stir in parsley and serve with more grated Parmigiano Reggiano at the table. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
–Recipe courtesy of The Parmigiano Reggiano Consortium