- 1 1/2 cups shelled fava beans (about 1 1/2 pounds unshelled)
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus zest for garnish (from 1 lemon)
- 4 ounces crumbled ricotta salata cheese (about 1 cup)
- Sliced scallion, optional
- Chopped peanuts, optional
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the fava beans, and cook 2 minutes; drain. Place the beans in a large bowl of ice water to cool; drain well. Remove the tough outer green skins from the beans; discard the skins. Set the beans aside.
2. Using a spiralizer, turn zucchini into noodles. Or, using a julienne peeler, peel the zucchini lengthwise into strips to equal about 7 cups, discarding the seeds.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the garlic and red chile flakes; cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add the zucchini; cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the mint, salt, fava beans, and lemon juice.
4. Sprinkle with the ricotta salata, lemon zest, and, if desired, scallion and peanuts.
Tip: Substitute edamame for the fava beans.
About this recipe
Excerpted from 100% Real by Sam Talbot. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved.