- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups peeled fresh green fava beans or green peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup finely chopped shallots
- 8-9 cups light vegetable broth
- 2½ cups Arborio rice
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1½ tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium sauté pan, add the garlic, and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the peeled fava beans or peas and sauté 5 minutes.
2. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan, add shallots and sauté 7 minutes. Bring
the vegetable broth to a simmer, cover it, and keep it hot on the lowest flame.
3. Add rice to the shallots and stir over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the wine and stir as it evaporates. Add 1 cup of the hot vegetable broth, lower the heat to a simmer, and stir as the broth is absorbed into the rice. Continue adding broth, about a cup at a time, stirring almost constantly, as each is absorbed and until the rice is tender but firm and still creamy, about 25 minutes.
4. Stir in the 2 tablespoons lemon juice and the lemon zest, Parmigiano, and then, just before serving, add a final, generous ladleful of broth. Spoon into bowls and serve with beans or peas and additional cheese.