In the South it is a long held belief that cooking and eating Black Eyed Peas on New Year’s Day will bring you good luck and prosperity all year. Here is one of our favorite ways to eat them from b...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon each black pepper and HImilayan pink sea salt
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 kale or turnip green leaves, rises removed and chopped
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil on medium/ high. Add onions and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until transparent.
- Add garlic and cubed sweet potatoes. Stir until ingredients are incorporated and cook for 5 minutes. Add seasonings and stir well.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir and reduce to simmer. Add lentils. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and add in kale. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until kale has wilted a bit but not lost its vibrant color. Remove from heat and serve warm.