- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups country ham, finely diced
- 2½ pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 4-6 cups chicken stock
- Fresh thyme springs, tied in a bundle
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Salt and black pepper
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions and ham, saute until soft. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring 2 minutes or until flour begins to brown. Add potatoes, chicken stock, thyme and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
2. When potatoes are tender, mash with a potato masher or sturdy whisk until the soup is creamy but not a puree. Stir in cream and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Mike Arnold, Eighth and Roast