- 8 ounces butter or bacon fat, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14-ounce) can creamed corn (or 1 1/2 cups buttermilk)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using bacon fat)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Place a 10" cast pan in the oven to heat.
2. Whisk butter and sugar until smooth.
3. Add corn/buttermilk and whisk well. Stir in cheese.
4. Mix remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine.
5. Remove pan from the oven coat it with pan spray or oil. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean- about 15-20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Mike Arnold, Eighth and Roast