- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 strips of thick, Applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 leek, trimmed and diced
- ¾ cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 eggs (Keshia likes to use local farm eggs)
- 1¼ cups half and half
- A pinch of dried sage and thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. For the pastry, place flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse. Add butter and pulse until mixture looks like coarse meal. Add cold water and pulse until dough comes together. Shape into a ball. Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and chill for an hour. Roll dough out to an 11- inch circle. Place in 9-inch pie plate. Crimp edges.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place bacon in a large skillet. Cook until crispy and coarsely chop. Place leeks and bacon in uncooked pie dough, top with grated cheeses. Combine eggs, half and half, dried herbs, salt and pepper; whisk well. Pour over cheese. Place plate on baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Lower oven to 375°F and bake 40 minutes or until quiche is puffed and golden.