- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 8 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, skin removed and chopped or 2 1/2 ounce jar pimentos (juice and all)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Combine milk, red pepper, salt and black pepper in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Do not boil.
2. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add flour, whisk well. Cook 5 minutes. Add to hot milk mixture, stirring until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add 6 ounces cheese and pimentos to sauce and whisk until cheese is melted.
3. Combine pasta and sauce and spoon into a 2-quart baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove from heat, stir, sprinkle with remaining 2 ounces cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes.
ROASTING BELL PEPPERS
To roast bell peppers, preheat oven to broil or 450F. Cut peppers in half and remove seeds. Place on foil lined sheet pan and flatten each half with your hand. Place in oven and roast until blackened all over, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and wrap peppers up in foil to steam. Let stand until cool. Remove peppers from foil and rub off charred skin. Chop peppers. Proceed with recipe.