Strawberries abound across Middle Tennessee! Here are all of the places you can pick your own: Amazin' Acres of Fun Jimmy & Karen McCulley 2857 Old Kentucky Road Sparta, TN 3...
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar with the fruit. Add the lemon zest and juice and squash mixture with the end of a rolling pin or whatever's handy. Cover and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Pour mixture into large saucepan. Make sure you have 3 or four inches of bare pot exposed to prevent the mixture from spilling over.
- Add salt and another 1/2 cup sugar. Bring to a fast boil taking care the bottom doesn't scorch. Maintain a nice boil while skimming surface a few times.
- Preserves set at approximately 220 degrees. Cool the mixture.
- Follow canning instructions or store in the refrigerator.
Check out Rebekah's desserts at City House, in the heart of Germantown.
Related Stories & Recipes
Bring 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cool. Place 4 cups chopped watermelon, 1/2 cups chopped strawberries, and the juice of 4 lemons in a blend...
I love this pie that tastes more like strawberries than the berries themselves. Some of the berries are cooked down to make a glaze that is then drizzled over a mountain of fresh berries. Smaller berr...