Ordinarily the rule for picking butternuts is to choose squash with long fleshy necks and small “bells.” For this recipe, you’ll want a squash with an ample cavity for filling.
- 1 butternut squash, cooked and mashed (or pumpkin)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, heated
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3 ounces finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups cubed onion rolls or other leftover rolls
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ounce Romano cheese, grated
- In a medium saucepan, combine mashed squash and next 7 ingredients. Whisk well and heat over low heat. Blend with an immersion blender or just mash with a potato masher.
- Combine cubed onion rolls, olive oil and cheese. Toss well. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until crunchy and browned. Serve with soup.