New Year in Nashville: Our Top Food and Fitness Picks
Year's Resolutions can be intimidating. More often than not individuals either set expectations too high or fail to set any at all. Make your goals concrete and get going. Here are four we love...
1. Try a new type of exercise or switch up your current routine.
For long-term success, it’s imperative to keep your exercise regimen varied. Is there something you have been wanting to try but need that extra push? What are you waiting for? The New Year is a great time to give it a go. Often times, exercise studios and gyms allow potential new members a discounted rate or free trial run. Trying a new form of exercise is a way to explore what you might enjoy and keep your muscles in tip-top shape.
Here are a few suggestions to get the ball rolling:
- Class Pass Nashville- (a subscription fitness service- great way to try a variety of classes in Nashville and surrounding area at a highly discounted rate)
- Krank Cycle Studio (combines total body and interval training)
- Studio Novo (total body + reformer)
- Iron Tribe Fitness (team approach, CrossFit-concept)
- Money a barrier? Join an exercise meetup group! (ex: East Nasty Running Group, 12 South Runners, S.P.U.R.S. (Sylvan Park Urban Runners))
2. Eat Clean: Explore a New Restaurant
Sometimes an “eating out rut” gets the very best of us. Make it a point to adventure out! The Nashville food scene is booming with restaurants that source from local farmers and artisans when you are in need of something new. Many have a wide array of menu options for carnivores, vegans/vegetarians and everyone in between.
Five Options We Love:
- Wild Cow
- Sunflower Cafe
3. Eat Clean at Home
Products We Love:
- Check out The Hummus Chick Hummus--high in protein and fiber, it makes a great sandwich spread and dip in a flash. Also check out her recipes.
- Try Roots True Foods smoothies--keep in the freezer and whip up a smoothie in a flash. Also try their 7-Day Healthy Reset Cleanse.
- Include lean beef in your diet. Order some grass-fed, grass finished beef from TN Grass Fed Farm. High in protein and iron.
- Want to shop less and cook more? Try MEEL's home delivered organic and local meal kits. All ready to cook.
- Get composting. Need a jumpstart, join Compost Nashville, a home compost pick-up service.
- Eat more salads, made tastier with Corner Market's Toasted Sesame Dressing. Available at Produce Place, Batch at the Nashville Farmers' Market.
- Join the Tn Beef Council's Food Waste Challenge for economical and healthy recipes.
3. Sign up for an organized race
Research states that many individuals thrive when they have a set date to work towards, whether it be a planned trip or an organized exercise event. Get inspired and invite others!
Three Coming Up:
- Zoo Run Run- 5K adventure through the Nashville Zoo- 1/21/17
- Hot Chocolate 5K/15K- benefiting Ronald McDonald House Charities- 2/11/17
- Feeling extreme? Try the Ragnar Relay Tennessee! 192 mile team race from Chattanooga to Nashville - 3/24/17
4. Join a CSA - Community Supported Agriculture
Sometimes, people are hesitant to join a CSA because they are unsure of how to prepare certain produce items. Jump into the unknown and learn something new! Many farmers offer recipes, tips and allow customers to pick and choose what they want to fill their baskets with during pick-up or delivery.
Seven We Love:
- Bloomsbury Farm
- Bugtussle Farm
- Green Door Gourmet (flexible options- you choose when you want a share)
- Sugar Camp Farm
- Delvin Farms
- Bells Bend Farms
- Hill and Hollow Farm