- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (or just put a bunch in to taste!)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups canned kidney beans or chili beans (Bush chili beans is my favorite)
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese, for garnish
- Chopped onion, for garnish
1/ In a large stock pot, heat olive oil. Cook onions and ground lamb over medium heat. When onions are soft and starting to turn brown and the meat is browned, drain well.
2/ Add garlic and season with red pepper flakes, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
3/ Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and beans; bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes. Garnish bowls with cheese and onion toppings.
Serving Suggestion: Add Oyster crackers or pita crisps for a nice crunch.