- 2 heads garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 sage leaves
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices bread, lightly toasted
- parsley, scallions, or chives, chopped
1. Slice or roughly chop the garlic cloves. Warm the oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and sage and let sizzle a bit without browning, about 2 minutes. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pep-per. Add the water and bring to a boil over high heat, then lower to a brisk simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
2. Ladle about an inch of the soup into a skillet and bring to a brisk simmer over medium heat. Carefully crack the eggs into the pan and poach for about 3 minutes.
3. To serve, place a slice of toast in each soup bowl and top with a poached egg. Ladle the soup over the eggs and sprinkle with a little parsley.