- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring or 2 teaspoons beet root powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/ Preheat oven to 350°.
2/ In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, beat together the softened butter and sugars.
3/ Add the egg and beat. Mix in vanilla and red food coloring or beet root powder.
4/ With the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients until the dough is just combined — don't over mix. The dough will be wet and sticky, so refrigerate it for a few hours.
5/ When the dough is chilled, scoop it into balls and roll in powdered sugar.
6/ Place cookies on a greased baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7/ Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.