- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 4 tablespoons (about) ice water
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Mix in butter and shortening with fingers or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal with some larger pieces. Add water and stir with a fork until mixture holds together. Scrape onto a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a ball. Flatten to a 1-inch thick disk. Wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Roll pastry on lightly floured surface into a rough 15 inch circle.
- If using for pie or tart, lightly coat 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. If using for rustic tart, place filling in middle of dough (leaving 2 inches of an edge all around) and fold/crimp edges up over contents.