- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basamati rice rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 2 Tbs hot water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 Tbs almonds sliced
- 1 tsp ground cardomum
- 1/4 cup rose water
- 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbs pistachios
1. In a 5 quart non stick pot add minced basamati rice, 8 cups of water, and salt. Bring to a boil.
2. Skim the white foam until surface clears. Cover and simmer over medium for 30 minutes.
3. Add 3 cups sugar and continue cooking for 20 more minutes.
4. Combine saffron and hot water and steep. Add to rice.
5. Add butter, cardomum, rose water, and 2 Tbs almond to the pot and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
6. Pour the saffron pudding in a shallow servind dish. Garnish with cinnamon, almonds, and pistachios.
7. Chill and serve with hot tea.