- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cornmeal (Beaverdam Creek)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces goat cheese (Noble Springs)
- 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
- ¾ pound shitake and oyster mushrooms (Whispering Creek Farms)
- ½ yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1. Bring 3 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add salt and slowly whisk the cornmeal into the water, whisking occasionally until polenta has thickened, about 20 minutes. Add butter and 1 ounce goat cheese.
2. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, mushroom, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook 10 minutes or until browned and caramelized. Add balsamic and honey, scraping to deglaze pan. Cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme. Spoon polenta into bowls, top with mushrooms and remaining crumbled goat cheese and fresh thyme.