- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 16-ounce package dried black beans, cooked (or 2 16-ounce cans black beans)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 pound collard greens
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place onion and garlic in food processor with salt and pepper and pulse until finely chopped and slightly liquid. Heat oil in a skillet and add ¼ cup tempero (onion mixture). Saute 15 minutes. Add cumin and continue cooking 15 more minutes scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Add cooked beans, bay leaf, cook for another 15 minutes on low heat. Add vinegar.
2. Heat oil in a skillet. Add 1 tablespoons of tempero (onion mixture) and dry rice and sauté 5 minutes. Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 20 minutes.
3. Layer the collard leaves on top of one another and roll up like a cigar. Thinly slice into shreds. Heat oil in a large skillet, add greens and cook 5 minutes. Serve black beans & rice with collards accompanied by hot sauce.