- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1½ cup self-rising yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place cast iron pan (skillet or muffin tin) with coconut oil in the oven to heat while you make the batter.
2. Mix together ½ cup of the coconut, cornmeal, flour, coconut milk, buttermilk and egg just until blended. Add more liquid if you need to. Pour batter into hot skillet or muffin pan. Sprinkle top of batter with remaining ½ cup coconut and bake until cornbread is puff y and golden brown and the coconut is browned.
About this recipe
Do you have a cornbread creation you love?
Submit your recipe by tagging @ediblenash on Instagram or by sending an email to email@example.com. Place “Cornbread Contest” in the subject line and send it in by April 30. The winner will receive a Lodge cast iron skillet!