- 3 cups mashed butternut squash
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup half & half or heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash in half, place cut sides down in a pan with a little water. Roast 30 minutes or until almost tender. Turn squash over and drizzle with maple syrup, sorghum, or sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Roast 10 minutes or until browned and tender. Remove squash from skin with a spoon. One medium butternut squash yields about 1 cup mashed.
3. Spoon squash in a shallow gratin dish. Stir in cheese. Drizzle with cream. Cover with foil, bake 25 minutes. Remove foil, bake 10 minutes.