- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons lard (Porter Road Butcher Leaf Lard)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ice water
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- juice of two lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup granulated tapioca
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix flour and salt. Cut lard and butter into flour mixture until the fats are roughly the size of macadamia nuts. Stir in water, about 6 tablespoons at first, and then add as needed until dough will hold together. Make a ball out of the dough, cut it in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
3. Mix all ingredients for the filling.
4. Roll out bottom crust, and place in 9" pie pan. Fill with filling, cover with top crust, crimp to bottom crust and vent it. Brush on egg wash made from one whole egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking until the filling is bubbling and the crust is browned, about another 30 minutes.