- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Garnish: sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add grits, and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, 1 minute or until grits are coated and toasted. Stir in salt and garlic powder. Whisk in 6 cups water, making sure no lumps form. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 7-8 minutes or until grits are tender and creamy. Add 1 cup cheese and tomatoes and chiles, stirring until blended. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease a 13- x- 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon grits mixture into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
About this recipe
Recipe courtesy of Chef Matt Moore.
Image courtesy of Oxmoor House.