Cooking pumpkins are sometimes labeled pie pumpkins or sugar pumpkins, but any small pumpkin (or winter squash) will work. Roasting times will vary depending on the size and moisture content of the...
- 1 (4-pound) boneless chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (0.6-ounce) envelope zesty Italian salad dressing and seasoning mix
- 1 (16-ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers, undrained
- 4 ounces (1⁄2 cup) salted butter, softened (optional)
- fresh thyme
1. Pat the roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high; add the roast, and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Place the roast in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; sprinkle the seasoning mix over the roast. Pour the pepperoncini peppers and liquid over the roast. Top with the butter, if desired.
3. Cover and cook on LOW until roast is very tender, about 8 hours, or on HIGH, about 5 hours.
4. Remove the roast from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Serve with roasted root vegetables. Garnish, if desired.
About this recipe
Excerpted from What Can I Bring? by Elizabeth Heiskell. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved.