- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 3 large fresh peaches, pitted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 batch vanilla-cardamom cream (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup peach jam, preserves, or jelly
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Tart
1. Roll out pie crust and lay in a shallow pie dish or tart pan. Crimp or trim edges Bake empty pie crust for 10 minutes and remove from oven.
2. To prepare vanilla-cardamom cream, whisk together egg yolks and egg in a bowl. Set aside. Stir together cornstarch, sugar, and cardamom.
3. In a heavy saucepan, add cornstarch mixture to milk and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture begins to thicken. Add ¼ cup of the hot milk mixture to the eggs in the small bowl, whisking well. Slowly pour egg mixture back into the hot milk mixture, whisking constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter and vanilla.
4. Pour into prepared pie crust. Let cool. Arrange peach slices on top of the tart in a decorative pattern. Brush with peach preserves and sprinkle with two tablespoons of raw sugar.