- 2 cups dried white beans, soaked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 3-inch piece parmesan cheese rind
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, torn
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1. Soak beans overnight, or using the quick soak method, by bringing the beans to a boil for a minute, removing from heat, covering and setting aside for an hour.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion, garlic, and red bell pepper and saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans and thyme, stir well. Add vegetable broth or water, parmesan cheese rind, and bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add spinach, tomatoes, and heat thorougly. Yield: 14 cups.
Related Stories & Recipes
Snow days are few and far between in Nashville. But 2014 was a particularly white winter. While we can only hope to have a few this year, a warm bowl of soup is still welcome on cold ...