The slightly mineral taste of sorghum syrup, made from sorghum cane, pairs well with the salt and butter of biscuits—and pie dough. Using sorghum rather than cane syrup for pecan pie makes the sweet i...
- Melt butter. Mix the sugars, flour, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the cream and melted butter to the dry ingredients. Add apples and mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Place pecans in the food processor and pulse 4 times to blend. Do not over chop the pecans.
- Place all of the ingredients into a standing mixer bowl. With the paddle attachment, mix for 1 minute on low speed. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the paddle and sides of the bowl. Mix for 1 additional minute on low speed until small clumps form and the butter is well incorporated.
- Drain apple filling of any excess liquid. Place filling in a large oven-safe bowl, pan, or pie dish. Wet your hands to keep the filling from sticking. Scoop topping an spread across filling. Do not press the topping down. Pre-bake at 425ºF for 9 minutes.
- Cool the apple crisp until ready to serve. When ready, place into a 325ºF oven for 10 minutes. Cool slightly and serve, ideally a la mode.
Find out more about Ted's Montana Grill