- Leave berries whole unless they are large, then cut in half. Set aside. Grease and line two 8 or 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Grease the paper. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix marcarpone cheese with the juice and zest of half a lemon. Set aside.
- With a stand mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar together until pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Whip egg whites until stiff. Stir egg whites into yolks. Gently sprinkle sifted flour over eggs in batches and fold into eggs using a large metal spoon until all the flour is mixed in.
- Divide batter between two prepared pans. Bake 20 minutes or until cake layers are light golden brown and cooked in the middle. Remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
- Place one cooled cake layer on a cake plate or stand. Spread lemon mascarpone on top. Arrange half the berries over and gently press them into the cheese. Dust with a bit of powdered sugar.
- Place second cake layer on top of berries. Whip one cup of heavy cream with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread on top of second cake layer. Top whipped cream with the remaining berries. Dust with additional powdered sugar if desired.
- Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve. It keeps well lightly covered for a day or two in the fridge.