- 4 large radishes
- 2 large green apples
- 1 large Fuji apple
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnishes: thinly sliced fresh mint; olive oil; 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Using a mandolin or knife, thinly slice all the radishes and apples to about an inch thickness. Place the sliced radishes and apples in a large shallow salad bowl. I enjoy alternating the layers of radish and apple; it makes for beautiful presentation and flavor. Drizzle with the oil, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, and pepper to taste and toss. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with the mint, oil, and hazelnuts. Serve immediately. Leftovers may be stored in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for 2 days.
SERVES 4 TO 6
Nutrition Tip: Radishes contain great amounts of vitamin C and are digestion friendly owing to their fiber content. They also contain antifungal and antibacterial properties as well as antioxidants called indoles, which support our bodies’ detoxification.
From NUTRITION STRIPPED by McKel Hill, MS, RDN. Copyright © 2016 by McKel Hill. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of Harper Collins Publishers.