- 1 pound shrimp, with shells
- 4 ounces bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 16 ounces shrimp stock or clam juice
- 2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed or diced tomatoes
- Salt to taste
1. Shell shrimp. Place shells in a saucepan with water and lime and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving stock. You should have 16 ounces.
2. Cook bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven until crispy. Remove bacon, reserving drippings. Add onion and celery to drippings and saute 10 minutes. Add flour and cook 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook 5 minutes. Add shrimp stock or clam juice (or chicken stock) and 1 cup water, stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add water if soup is too thick. Add 2 cups cream, shrimp, tomatoes and kale; cook 10 minutes on low. (Chowder will "break" or curdle if brought to a boil at this point.) Salt to taste. Add a splash of sherry if desired.