- 4 cups water
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound medium shrimp (about 30), peeled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and whisk in grits. Cook, whisking frequently, until grits are tender and creamy, 20 to 30 minutes. Whisk in goat cheese, parmesan, and 1 tbsp. butter. Cover and keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Reserve bacon fat in skillet.
- Add shrimp to bacon fat and cook, turning once, until bright pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate with a slotted spoon. Lower heat to medium; add mushrooms, garlic and tomato to skillet and cook 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, and scrape bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Return shrimp to skillet along with lemon juice, remaining butter, and hot sauce and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Divide grits between 4 bowls; top each with shrimp mixture. Top with bacon and green onions.