- 7–8 pounds of tomatoes (1 peck)
- 4 green or red bell peppers
- 2 large or 4 small onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs basil
- 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Core tomatoes. Place tomatoes (stem side down), peppers, onions, and garlic on foil-lined baking sheet. Roast 1 hour or until tomatoes are blistered and have lost some juice.
2. Place tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic , basil, salt, and juice of 1 lemon into blender. Process until just slightly chunky.
3. Pour tomato mixture into jars and pressure can at 15 pounds for 40 minutes, or according to canning instructions.
Favorite Farmhouse Soup
Add 1 cup heavy cream to 6 cups tomato mixture.
Add extra fresh basil, oregano, and thyme to tomato mixture.
Add 6 cups tomato mixture to sautéed diced squash, zucchini, and sausage.
Related Stories & Recipes
My daughter has been working at a produce stand for the past 4 summers. As a result she frequently comes home with baskets of over-ripe tomatoes impatient to be used. Mind you, I'm not complai...