- 1 2-3 pound pumpkin
- 3 onions, slivered
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 4 cups french bread or baguette, cubed and toasted
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cut top off pumpkin. Remove seeds and strings.
2. Heat butter in large skillet. Add onions, and saute 15-25 minutes or until browned and caramelized. While onions are cooking, bake pumpkin 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven. Place bread cubes in bottom of pumpkin, top with cheese, onions and 1-2 cups broth. Repeat layering, ending with cheese. Bake 30-45 minutes. Serve soup with pumpkin scraped from side.