- 1/4 cup seasoning salt
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup black pepper (ground)
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/2 cup whole oregano (dried)
- 1/8 cup onion powder
- 3/4 cup cajun seasoning
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 slabs pork spare ribs (St. Louis cut / 3# avg./12 bone)
- 2 cup rub seasoning
- 32 ounces BBQ sauce
- 1 pound watermelon (rind removed), cut into cubes
- To make seasoning mix, combine first eight ingredients, mix well. Add brown sugar and mix well, removing any lumps.
- Liberally season both sides of the ribs with seasoning mix. Grill, roast or smoke ribs until 90-95% done. Cut the ribs into three-bone sections. (This can be done ahead)
- Place the BBQ sauce into a 4" deep roasting pan. Slather the rib sections in the sauce and “shingle” them into a row in the pan. Cut the watermelon into 1-2" cubes and place over the ribs. Cover the pan and place in a slow oven (250 degrees) for approx. 3 hours.
About this recipe
Loveless Cafe's Signature Rub is a superb rub for pork butts, pork loins and chicken. It makes 3 cups. Keep in an airtight jar.
Of course, if you want, you may also simply head over to Loveless Cafe' on Thursday for some of George's Watermelon Ribs. (But get there early!)
8400 Highway 100