- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 7 tablespoon unsalted very cold butter
- 2½ heavy whipping cream, cold, divided
1. Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon. Let stand 3 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter a 9x13 glass baking dish. In a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and blend for about 3-4 minutes, or until butter and flour look like coarse meal the size of peas.
3. With mixer on low speed, slowly add 2/3 cup cream. Let dough come together in a shaggy mess. On a floured work surface, work the dough together, then fold it on itself a few times until no longer clumpy.
4. Spread dough into prepared pan. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until a light buttery golden brown. Let cool before serving. Whip remaining 2 cups cream.
5. Cut shortcake into squares. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.