- 4 cups unsweetened, flaked coconut
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 heaping teaspoons vanilla extract pinch of kosher salt
1. Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a medium sized skillet or saucepan. Combine all ingredients in a large heat-proof bowl, and set on top of simmering skillet. Using a spatula, stir coconut mixture continuously for 5-6 minutes until egg whites have slightly thickened and mixture is very warm to the touch.
2. Place mixture aside to rest for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally to recombine. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats. Scoop heaping tablespoons of macaroon mixture onto baking sheets, 2 inches apart, using your fingers to tighten the mounds. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until mounds are beautifully golden brown. Allow to cool completely before peeling off baking tray.